Author Topic: 12 Questions About Hospice  (Read 6468 times)

Joe Piazzo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
12 Questions About Hospice
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:35:07 PM »
This video is designed to answer 12 essential questions about hospice and palliative care.
The project was produced by www.grievingcenter.org and funded by The Hospice and Palliative Care Association of New York State (HPCANYS). They  are a not-for-profit organization representing hospice and palliative care programs, allied organizations and individuals that are interested in the development and growth of quality, comprehensive end-of-life services.
Founded in 1978 as the New York State Hospice Association, HPCANYS  changed its name to Hospice and Palliative Care Association in 2000   to better reflect its role in fostering accessible, quality end-of-life care.
The Association is headquartered in Albany, New York and serves members statewide.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 12:48:55 PM by jpiazzo »

lahen

Re: 12 Questions About Hospice
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
Rev. Purdy asks the questions everyone asks about hospice and, along with a wonderfully diverse range of experts, "demystifies" the subject, thank you so much.  I'm particularly glad the point was raised about "waiting too long" to seek hospice care.  As someone who works in hospice, this seems to be the biggest reason for patient and caregiver stress.  We are understandably reluctant to face our mortality, but acknowledging and focusing energy on comfort rather than cure as soon as possible when that point is reached can sometimes increase lifespan as well as quality of life.  My mother and I chose hospice for her when her doctors said it might be a matter of weeks, and the comfort and care she received for three months helped both of us cope with her illness better.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 02:06:15 PM by wpurdy »